Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Did I mention I hate hills?

Yes. Hills. My nemesis. Damn I really do hate them.

So, when  Logan said "hey, lets go up Rapaki Track" I was desperate to find an excuse, but sadly, none was good enough to stop the mad bugger wanting to give it a go. And being that he is a mad bugger, we (he) decided we should head to Rapaki Track from his place, in the saddle. OK, it's flat and mostly non-road (yay for rail track and Hagley Park) but still a 14km ride to the foot of the hill.

So, ride there we did. It ticked by swiftly, as flat easy rides often do, and before I could convince him I was lost and we should head home now, we were at Rapaki Road and heading up the hill. The first bit is road, and actually not bad. I could ride up and down this several times without issue. Once we hit the first gate tho, the track changes from tar seal to rocks and muck and uneven terrain and is a lot harder as you have to concentrate on steering as well and peddling.

We slipped past the bottom gate and up the pine tree lined track intro to the first real gate. And to show how long how long it's been since I was last there, the gate now has a cattle stop and little ramp setup so no more gate jumping.

We got to the other side, lost jackets and headed further uphill. 15km on the clock, and a hill in front of me. I sucked. I hate hills. I hate them even more when I know how far up they go. So, we had a couple of pauses on the way, and made it (eventually) to the top of the first bit of the hill, where the second gate is (which now also has a cattle stop ramp!) and I decided I could not bear to do the rest. I convinced Logan  it was better to turn back now rather than push my arse up the next hill. He agreed (yay!) and we swung about and descended again. 

OK, as a small consolation, the bike computer said our max speed was 151kph, so not all bad news.  :)

We rambled back home and discussed the best way to make hills better. He suggested a training routine, or maybe skipping, or running, or anything really. My suggestion of donuts and custard squares and vodka-hydration-packs were not well received. Bugger. Hills it is then. 

Damn I hate hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment