Friday, February 20, 2009

Work harder not smarter!!!

Over the last couple of weeks I've been doing some work on the static bike. My old Giant was clamped to the torture device and spent several weeks after the Christmas break calling me, begging me to come back and have a spin. I resisted. It wasn't easy, but I resisted it's call knowing that I would somehow magically become fit and athletic by cycling to work and back each day, and going riding with Logan a couple of time a week.

Then Logan had a break from riding (and any activity requiring the participation of his middle-area) and I decided to pull the wind trainer sessions out of the cupboard and give them a go. Cor. Crikey. Blimey. They is hard. I sent a copy to a young lad at the office, and he declared them a tough ride. I sent a copy to Logan, and he rang me after one and sent a collection of abusive comments my way. Yes, they are that good. Burn? No man, these make your legs feel like they are fueled by napalm!

With my trainer sessions in mind, I mapped out a short road ride for me and Logan yesterday. It wasn't far, and wouldn't be long either, but I was fairly sure Logan wouldn't like me very much afterwards. I was pretty sure of it in fact.

I collected him after work and we went for warm up ride for about 5km, then a quick turn and time for a sprint. Top gear, Logan up and stoking, me pushing hard, top speed rapidly approaching, both sit and hold that top speed! We couldn't hold top speed as long as I dreamed we could have, but my legs, and Logan's, were screaming and the lungs were requesting a break. Drop gears, spin for a bit, get our breath back, then have another go. We sprinted again, this time a little longer but in one gear lower. Another short rest, then a pace-attack, keep the cadence the same and keep stepping up through the gears. Then another short spin, then another sprint. After that, it was just one more spin, pace and sprint and the legs were screaming! The lungs were rasping! This is a lot harder than on the trainer!

After about an hour we headed home. Legs were tired, and now sessions on the trainer looked fun and easy in comparison. We'll do this more often, as often as sanity (or lack thereof) will allow. More rides, harder rides, longer rides, the Rainbow Rage is only a matter of weeks away now. A few weeks of hartd training will make the 106km fly by!

No comments:

Post a Comment